NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Fire officials say a woman and
five children jumped from the third floor window of a Newark apartment building
to escape an early morning blaze.
Capt. John Brown says the 39-year-old woman and children, who range in ages
from 6 to 17, were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Brown says the fire started in the bathroom and was ignited by an unattended
candle. Brown says the tenants were using the candle because they had moved in
the day before and had not yet had the electricity turned on.
Brown was not immediately aware of their conditions or the relationship of
the 39-year-old woman to the children.
Fire officials say the fire was reported at 12:24 a.m. It took 20 minutes to
bring the fire under control.